Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Counseling Services at Marian Academy


The position of the school counselor is a new one at Marian Academy. I started late may of the last school year just as students where starting to do end of year exams and plan their vacations. It was difficult to gauge what the overall response to a counselor would be.
Starting the new school year and meeting with students to introduce myself has been helpful in letting them know that counseling is available to them. Overall the response has been positive. Slowly I think they will gain a clever understanding of counseling. This will help them be less afraid and judgmental of the process and of the students who seek to use this service.
My basic role is to be a form of support to them. To listen to the concerns and the issues they may be struggling with. I try to help them verbalize their feelings and to find healthy solutions or ways of coping with their problems. My job is to help them manage their stress, improve their communication skills, build their self esteem and set appropriate academic and personal goals. I work with students individually or on small groups and I am available to meet with parents as necessary.
The image of counseling or psychotherapy is a developing one in Guyana and I believe there is a place for these services within our society.
Contributed by Mrs.Swain

2 comments:

marlon said...

excellent idea on the part of sr marie having a counsellor at school. Great job mr Ramesh on creatin such an extraordinary blog for marian..2 thumbs-up- woohoo!

marlon said...

excellent idea on the part of sr marie having a counsellor at school. Great job mr Ramesh on creatin such an extraordinary blog for marian..2 thumbs-up- woohoo!